Agriculture is the backbone of Kenya and contributes to about 80 percent of the country’s economy and without much investment in this field, it will lead to hunger and other implications associated with it. Agriculture involves both the rearing of animals and plants. Majority of Kenyans are practicing plant and animal production and hence there is need to train them in courses pertaining animals and plants.
The University of Nairobi through the faculty of veterinary sciences has establish courses which specializes in animal field at masters and doctor of philosophy (Ph.D) level and this ensures establishment of competent people in field of animal production hence there will be high production in that field (animal). The faculty of veterinary sciences is under the college of Agriculture and veterinary science in the University of Nairobi and this college is located on the Kabete campus (one of the campuses of University of Nairobi) which is approximately 15 kilometers from Nairobi CBD (central business district).
The masters’ programme offered by the University of Nairobi in the faculty of veterinary sciences include:
- Master of Veterinary Surgery.
- Master of Veterinary Medicine.
- Master of Veterinary Theriogenology.
- Master of Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics.
- Master of Veterinary Public Health.
The other masters’ programmes offered by this faculty are masters of Science (M.Sc.) in:
- Applied Microbiology.
- Fish Science.
- Reproductive Biology.
- Leather Technology.
- Poultry Science.
- Pharmacology and Toxicology.
- Clinical Pathology and Diagnosis.
- Animal genetics and Breeding.
- Applied Veterinary Parasitology.
- Animal Nutrition and Feed Science.
- Wildlife Health Management.
- Livestock Production System.
- Veterinary Pathology, Microbiology and Parasitology.
- Veterinary Pathology and Diagnosis.
- Comparative Mammalian Physiology.
- Natural Product and Bioprospecting.
- Veterinary Anatomy and Cell Biology.
The doctor of philosophy (Ph.D) programmes offered at the University of Nairobi under the faculty of veterinary sciences includes the Ph.D courses in all masters programmes listed above. If a person wants to enquire for more information pertaining the postgraduate programmes offered in the University of Nairobi faculty of veterinary science, he/she can contact the Dean of the faculty through the postal address Box 29053 – 00625, Nairobi, email address [email protected] or the university website at www.uonbi.ac.ke. You can also all the deans’ office using the telephone numbers 020 2181370 or 6310007