We have heard of economic growth every year. The economics experts usually say that Kenya has an economic growth of 5 % and sometimes 5.7 %. People wonder how they arrive to such calculation or how they do such calculations. This is done by experts who have specialised in economics. If you dream of becoming an economist, it is not late because you can still make it at the University of Nairobi.
University of Nairobi has the school of economics which has produced known economists in Kenya and the East Africa. The school offers specialised training of economics at all levels of learning (from degree to doctor of philosophy) under the college of humanities and social sciences.
There are only two undergraduate programmes offered at the school of economics in the University of Nairobi and they include:
- Bachelor of Economics.
- Bachelor of Economics and Statistics.
The minimum admission requirement for one to pursue a degree in economics is:
- One should have K.C.S.E mean grade of C+ and above and C+ in mathematics or
- Those with diploma should have K.C.S.E of C (plain) and additional of C+ in mathematics or
- Those who have advance K.A.C.E or E.A.C.E certificate with two principal passes with “0” level” mathematics are also eligible for admission.
The master programmes offered in the school of economics are:
- Maters of Arts in Economics.
- Master of Arts in Economics Policy Management.
- Master of Arts in Economics of Multilateral Trading System.
- Master of Science in health Economics and Policy.
The admission requirement of pursuing masters in economics is that a person should be a holder of upper second class honours degree in economics or holders of bachelor’s degree at lower second class from the university of Nairobi with at least two years’ experience. Those who have bachelor degree in health sciences are also eligible to pursue Master of Science in health economics and policy.
The only doctor of philosophy offered at the school of economics is Ph.D in Economics and for one to pursue this course; he/she should be holders of a master degree in economics in an institution that is recognised by senate of the University of Nairobi.
For more information, you can contact:
Director School of Economics,
P.O. Box 30197, Nairobi.
Telephone number: 318262, 226451 extension 28122