Although few individuals can claim to be truly gifted in the Arts department, many human beings do enjoy various forms of Art. Visual and performing arts make life more interesting. They showcase talent and are indeed a source of revenue for many people. Kenyatta University offers various courses under the School of Visual and Performing Arts. Individuals can apply for programmes in the three departments namely:
- Department of Music and Dance
- Department of Theatre Arts and Film
- Department of Arts and Design
Admission Criteria of Department of Arts and Design
The undergraduate programme under the department of Art and Design has two degree programmes. These are:
- Bachelor of Arts (Arts and Design)
- Bachelor of Education (Arts and Design
Individuals who want to pursue the programmes should have obtained the following criteria:
- Individuals should have obtained the minimum entry requirement for undergraduate courses under the common university regulations.
- Individuals who have not undertaken an art subject but have obtained a KCSE mean grade of C+ will be given consideration as long as the present samples of their artworks to the Department of Art and Design. The samples will be assessed and the individuals advised.
- Individuals who have obtained a KCSE mean grade of C and who have also obtained a Diploma in Art and Design are also eligible to undertake the course.
- Those individuals with a P1 certificate and a KCSE mean grade of C and who have proven experience in Art and design will also be considered.
Individuals interested in pursuing courses under the School of Visual and Performing Arts in Kenyatta University can apply for courses under The Department of Music and Dance. The Department of Music and Dance offers the following courses:
- Bachelor of Arts (Music)
- Bachelor of Arts (Ethnomusicology)
Individuals can also apply for courses under the School of Visual and Performing Arts Deparment of Theatre Arts and Film Technology. Individuals will be admitted if they meet the following criteria:
- Individuals who meet the criteria for the School of Visual and Performing Arts will be admitted through the Joints Admission Board. Those who are self sponsored will also be admitted as long as they meet the university admission requirements.
- Individuals with a Diploma in Film or Mass Communication are also eligible to undertake the course.
- Individuals who have obtained a Diploma in education and who have a proven experience in Theatre Arts will also be considered for the programme.
- Individuals who are holders of a higher Diploma in Theatre Arts are also welcome to apply for the degree course.
Individuals undertaking the course will do so over a period of 8 semesters. However, individuals who have already acquired a Diploma in Film Studies/Mass communication or in Theatre Arts will undertake the course in 6 semesters.
For more information, individuals can contact: