In Kenya, many of the early modes of life have been changing drastically due to the advancement in technology. For example, earlier, people would be moving around with huge amounts of cash in their pockets but nowadays, people are carrying very little or no money. Instead they only carry and use ATMs, VISA cards or MasterCards to even do their shopping which are portable and secure.
From this therefore, Kenya have established a new form of paying for bus fare in most buses. They have introduced the BebaPay card which is used to pay for bus fare with ease and safely. It is convenient and reduce the need to carry cash around or worry about the exact amount to be paid. Your card is just tapped and you are all set. The other advantage of using BebaPay is that it is easy to manage expenses via SMS or online on your mobile phone or computer.
How to sign up and acquire the BebaPay Card:
To get a free BebaPay card, visit the locations in Nairobi which provide for the services. Some of the locations include;
- Participating Equity bank branches and agents within Nairobi that have the BebaPay sign.
- BebaPay tellers at Major Nairobi bus stops such as KenCom, Ambassador and Studio One.
- BebaPay tellers on buses that have the BebaPay sign.
Every customer will receive a free BebaPay card and a separate free online account. The online account is used to add funds to the card. After adding money to the account, you can now use the money in the account and top up to the card. You can as well update the card balance by visiting in any participating Equity bank branch, Equity Bank Agent or BebaPay card reader in the buses. Topping up of the card with funds can be done through mobile phones through different ways.
Different ways to top up the BebaPay card:
- Go to M-PESA menu and select payment services and select pay bill.
- Enter the business number of BebaPay which is 272900 and then enter the 13 digit number on the BebaPay card as the account number.
- Enter the top-up amount followed by your M-PESA PIN. You will receive an SMS confirmation regarding the top-up.
- Afterwards, visit a participating Equity bank, agent or bus card reader to update the card for the top-up.
Equity Bank Eazzy 24/7
- To use this service, you must be registered with the Eazzy 24/7 service. From your mobile phone, dial *247# and then reply with your PIN. Select option 6 – Bill Payment and select 1 – Popular billers.
- Select the bank account number, select BEBAPAY CARD and enter the 13 digit number on your BebaPay card as the reference number.
- Enter the top up amount. Afterwards, you will receive an SMS confirmation and you can visit the necessary location to update your card.
- Go to orange money on your phone menu. Select option 5 – payments. Select the Bill Payment and then enter the business number 272900.
- Enter the 13 digit number on your BebaPay as the Reference number. This should be followed by top-up amount.
- You will receive a SMS confirmation and you can now visit the participating Agents, buses Card reader to update the card with the top-up.
Payments and charges of using BebaPay:
The BebaPay card is free to apply in any of the participating outlets meaning that no fee is charged for acquiring the card. Currently, there are also no fee charged to top-up the card from the participating Equity bank branches, their Agents or the BebaPay tellers. Interesting enough, making payments using the card is free of charge as it has no transaction fee.
However, topping-up the card from your mobile phone through either M-PESA, Orange Money or Equity Bank Eazzy 24/7 will be charged by the mobile banking operators.