In 1939, Lord Maurice Egerton, a British national who had settled in Kenya founded a Farm School that was later to become Egerton University. In 1950, the then Egerton Agricultural College started offering various diploma programmes. In 1987, Egerton Agricultural College was upgraded to Egerton University. Since then Egerton University has expanded to encompass several campuses and colleges. Although it now offers Degree courses, Egerton University still offers various Diploma courses. These are:
Diploma in Animal Health
Animal health is paramount especially to a country that majorly depends on agriculture for its sustenance. Egerton University offers Diploma in Animal Health to ensure that individuals merge theory and practical knowledge in animal health and disease control. Individuals who want to pursue the course should meet the following criteria:
- Individuals should have obtained a minimum score of grade C in KCSE or KCE/EACE Division II or equivalent
- Individuals with a score of grade C (KCSE) or credit in each of the following subjects: English/Kiswahili, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or, Physical Sciences, Biology or Biological Sciences are also eligible to undertake the course.
- Individuals who have obtained a certificate with at least a credit pass in Animal Health from a recognized institution can also apply for the course.
Diploma in Business Management
Egerton University offers Diploma in Business Management. Individuals who want to apply should have met the following criteria:
- Individuals who want to pursue Diploma in Business Management should have met the common University Admission criteria are applicable. In addition:
- The individual must have obtained at lease a mean grade of C (plain) at Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) level or Division III at Kenya Certificate of Educate (KCE) or equivalent qualification.
- The individual must have also obtained at least C- (Minus) in mathematics and at least a (C-) (Minus) in English or Kiswahili.
- Individuals who have acquired a mean grade of C (Plain) but have less that C- (Minus) in mathematics and English of Kiswahili will be considered for admission provided that they undertake a bridging course in the respective subjects.
- Individuals with a credit certificate in Business from institution recognized and who have a mean grade of D+ or equivalent in their (KCSE) are also eligible for admission.
- Holders of Accounting Technical Certificate (ATC) final level are welcome to apply for the course.
Diploma in Gender, Women and Development Studies
Various issues come up whenever people measure gender and development. Studies have shown that gender does indeed affect the development of a people. Egerton University offers Diploma in Gender, Women and Development Studies. Individuals wishing to pursue the course should:
- Individuals should have obtained met the university criteria for Diploma studies.
- Individuals who have obtained a minimum of KCSE mean grade of C (plain) should apply for the course.
- Individuals who have a certificate course in Gender, Poverty and Development will be considered and may be required to appear for an interview by the Institute (either oral or written) to determine their eligibility.
Other Diploma Courses offered at Egerton University include:
- Diploma in Agriculture Education and Extension
- Diploma in Animal Science and Technology
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery
- Diploma in Computer Science
- Diploma in Dairy Technology
- Diploma in Dryland Resources Management
- Diploma in Eco-tourism and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Education (Arts)
- Diploma in Education (Primary)
- Diploma in Farm Resource Management
- Diploma in Horticulture
- Diploma in Human Resources Management
- Diploma in Library and Information Science
- Diploma in Military Science
- Diploma in Modern Chemistry Laboratory Technology
- Diploma in Procurement and Supplies Management
For more information, individuals can contact:
Egerton University Njoro CampusEmail Address: [email protected] Tel : 254-051-2217891/2 254-051-2217781 Address: P.O Box 536 Egerton 20115 Kenya
Egerton University Nakuru Town campus Email Address: [email protected] Tel : 254-051-2217891/2 254-051-2217781 Address: P.O Box 536 Egerton 20115 Kenya
Egerton University Nairobi Campus Located at Stanbank House, Moi Avenue (Opposite Hilton Hotel). Tel: 0736309390, 0704309390